Sunday, November 11, 2012

Call Me Maybe, and Real Life

Do you enjoy Carly Rae Jepsen's video Call Me Maybe as much as I do? I was first drooling and then laughing like an idiot the first time I saw it. The video becomes that much more funny when you know that there are stories to back it up. And Holden Nowell is worth watching no matter what.


Carly Rae Jepsen's video of a girl lusting after the boy next door - who doesn't look like the boy next door but like the perfect twink hunk - is one of the funnier music videos produced since ABBA invented the genre. The final scene when she wants to give him her number while he is giving his to the male guitarist had me in stitches.

My uncle once told me the story that could have been the blue print for the video's story line. But probably it happened to many more guys than just him and to many more girls than just his friend. As a student, he went to a pub way out in the mud together with his girlfriend to meet up with a mutual friend living in the village. That friend had recently split up with her boyfriend and was looking for some sympathetic company.


The pair arrived before the local girl, and they felt slightly out of place being dressed for some clubbing in the city rather than a country pub. When their friend finally arrived, she breathlessly dumped her bag and coat with them and with a breezy 'sorry, have to talk to that guy' rushed to the back of the pub. Slightly bemused, they watched her sitting down at a table with a guy.


The sitting pair talked for a few moments, then the girl got up with her face flaming red. She made her way back to my uncle and his girlfriend. They inquired what that had been about. She said: 'It took me four weeks to find the courage to talk to that gorgeous hunk. I asked him if he would like to do something with me and if he would come for a drink with us. Do you know what he answered? "I'm not really interested in you, but if you can introduce me to your male friend waiting for you, then I'll come." At that point, both my uncle and his girlfriend collapsed with laughter. Apparently, she never forgave them for that.


Further reading:
Louis Tomlinson of One Direction
The Wanted
McFly







No comments:

Post a Comment