Saturday, January 5, 2013

Splash: Tom Daley on ITV1

When I decided that I would write about this TV show of Tom Daley's, I expected it to be nothing more than a good excuse to write a bit more about him and to have an even better excuse to post some pics of him. Well, I got a positive surprise by the show as such.



At first I was not too much excited as the show was with Tom Daley, but not about him. So no candy teen hunk in speedo swimwear, but a sober young man in t-shirt. Once I got over that and started to watch the show on its own merit, it became quite amusing.

Getting people to swim can be a daunting task. Tom Daley got people to dive (and one of them from the 10 meter tower). That is impressive, considering he had a week to do it. ITV has built on well known formats when putting that series up; it's format reminds heavily of Strictly Come Dancing and Dancing on Ice. It works, partly. Room for improvement, and that is good so.

The format worked because none of the celebrities took it and themselves too seriously; and Tom Daley is just a bundle of charms. For the first time I found Vernon Kay not the sexiest man on a show he was presenting. Makes for a change.

Towards the end of the show, a show part was pure genius. A James Bond themed diving group was a joy to watch and a good innovation on diving as we know it. Am going to watch the next show? Yes I am, as I am sure they will be working on it to improve it. And yes, hunk Jake Canuso will be back to show us an even skimpier speedo than this time round.

Further reading:
Tom Daley Watershed Strip
Male Divers are Sexy
The Gay Tom Daley







No comments:

Post a Comment